Saturday 26 August 2017

Module 3h Semi-formal style

Three writing styles In English

Formal – textbooks, official reports, academic articles, essays, business letters, contracts, official speeches
Semi-formal – day-to-day interaction with teachers, a friend's parents, popular magazines/books, interviews, when talking with someone you don't know well or whom you respect
Informal – interacting with friends, speaking or chatting online

Semi-Formal English 

DO NOT USE: 
  • informal greetings(Hi, Bob,);
  • informal endings (Love, Sandra);
  • slang ("Cool!- meaning "Круто!")
  • avoid phrasal verbs unless no alternative is possible 
(BUT- I look forward to ... is OK!!! );
  • avoid idioms (“Could you give me a hand? )
  • text speak (Tks & we look 4ward 2 meeting u.)
  • contractions  (I'm interested in ...)
  • avoid short forms of the words (advert  - advertisement, info  - information)


 USE:  
  • polite greetings (Dear Mr Brown,& endings (Kind regards,/ Best wishes,)
  • polite language (say I would like to … instead of I want …”); 
  • respecful tone (when making requests, use “could you” and “please,” don’t just give commands, say Could you please tell me ... ? and not just Tell me.”)
  • full forms (I am interested in ...)

Compare:
Semi-formal (inviting your boss): “Would you like to join me for lunch?”
Informal (inviting your best friend): “Hey, wanna grab a bite to eat?”
Semi-formal: “Hello, how are you?”
Informal: “Wassup?”
Semi-formal: “The weekend was great!”
Informal: “It was awesome!” “It was the bomb!”


No comments:

Post a Comment